Job: Constituency Assistant – Graeme Dey MSP
Location: Arbroath with occasional travel to the Scottish Parliament in Edinburgh
Salary: £24,185 (pro-rata)
Hours: (Full-Time/Part-Time) dependant on candidate
Term: Fixed term, 12 months
The post attracts an employer’s pension contribution equivalent to 10% of salary. Holiday entitlement: 25 days per annum, pro rata with 10.5 public and privilege holidays.
Job purpose: Graeme Dey MSP is looking for a Constituency Assistant to join his team, based out of his office in Arbroath. The role will involve being a primary point of contact for constituents in Angus South to assist with a wide range of issues. Your duties will include administration, research, communications and casework. It is essential the successful candidate works well in a team and has excellent communication and people skills.
- Dealing with inquiries from members of the public in person and by telephone and email.
- Providing effective support with constituency casework
- Logging all cases ensuring compliance with GDPR, monitoring progress and ensuring all identified actions are taken.
- Arranging and attending surgeries / meetings / events as required
- Preparing Press Releases and dealing with local media inquiries
- Managing online presence such as social media and websites
- Liaising with government agencies, local authorities, community groups and other organisations.
- Undertaking research and preparing briefings
- Monitoring parliamentary business and events in Angus South constituency
- Analysing, evaluating & interpreting data to accurately inform on local & key issues
- This description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibility associated with this job. It is not exhaustive, and the successful candidate will be required to undertake other duties as required.
Skills and Experience
(E is Essential, D is Desirable)
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs, including the Scottish political scene (E)
- Exemplary interpersonal, written & verbal communication skills (E)
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills (E)
- Ability to work quickly to prioritise tasks and complete them in a timely manner (E)
- Flexible approach to working with the ability to work to an agreed plan with minimal supervision, and use your own initiative (E)
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and interpret information accurately (E)
- A highly professional manner and a proactive approach to work (E)
- Experience of working and dealing with the public, with organisations and with volunteers (D)
- Knowledge of Angus South constituency (D)
- Full UK driving licence (D)
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office (D)
- Ability to produce high quality visual material (D)
- Sympathetic to the aims of the SNP (D)
How to apply
To apply, please email a one-page CV and covering letter of no more than 300 words to firstname.lastname@example.org, setting out why you would like the post and why you believe that you are a suitable candidate for the role.
Closing Date: Monday 29th August at 5pm
Start Date: September