Salary: £25,539 – £28,289 (pro rata)
Job Details: Full-time, 35 hours (Part-time will be considered for the right candidate)
The post attracts an employer’s pension contribution equivalent to 10% of the salary. Holiday entitlement: 25 days per annum, with 10.5 public and privilege holidays.
Working for a Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP): MSPs are employers in their own right. Under their employment, you will become part of a team supporting them in carrying out their duties. You’ll work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment to provide an outstanding service for constituents.
Job purpose: Graeme Dey MSP, is looking for a Constituency Assistant to join his team, based out of his office in Arbroath. The role will involve being a primary point of contact for constituents in Angus South to assist with a wide range of issues. Your duties will include administration, research, communications and casework. It is essential the successful candidate works well in a team and has excellent communication and people skills.
- Supporting with keeping casework up to date and responding to public enquiries.
- Meeting constituents on a wide range of issues, including those of a sensitive nature and escalating accordingly.
- Advocating on constituent’s behalf with relevant bodies to resolve matters.
- Attending surgeries, producing reports and monitoring media trends on my behalf.
- Ensuring casework filing systems, both electronic and manual, are kept up-to-date in line with GDPR requirements.
- Providing administrative and secretarial support.
- Responding to all incoming correspondence while professionally managing each enquiry within agreed timescales.
- Coordinating, tracking and monitoring the handling of enquiries and ensuring they are dealt with timely and professionally.
- Drafting written correspondence such as letters, requests for information and parliamentary questions and motions.
- Producing materials that effectively convey my aims to the general public and media.
- Keeping up to date with current media developments.
This description is indicative of the nature and level of responsibility associated with this job. It is not exhaustive, and the successful candidate will be required to undertake other duties as required.
Skills and Experience
- Full UK driving licence
- Knowledge and understanding of current affairs, including the Scottish political scene
- Exemplary interpersonal, written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills
- Ability to work quickly to prioritise tasks and complete them in a timely manner
- Flexible approach to working with the ability to work to an agreed plan with minimal supervision and use your own initiative
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and interpret information accurately
- A highly professional manner and a proactive approach to work
- Experience in working and dealing with the public, organisations and with volunteers
- Knowledge of Angus South constituency
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to produce high-quality visual material
How to apply
To apply, please email a one-page CV and cover letter of no more than 300 words to email@example.com, setting out why you would like the post and why you believe that you are a suitable candidate for the role.
Closing Date: The vacancy will continue to run until a candidate has been appointed.