Members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) take part in examining and passing Bills (proposed laws). They represent you in the Scottish Parliament and your local area and they examine the work of the Scottish Government.

Find out how an MSP’s role is different from other people who represent you.

What issues can an MSP help you with

There are certain things that the Scottish Parliament has the power to make decisions on. These are known as “devolved matters”.

Contact Graeme if you want support with something related to the following devolved matters:

  • agriculture and fisheries
  • education and training
  • environment
  • health and social services
  • housing
  • justice and policing
  • local government
  • transport

You can also contact Graeme about some taxes – these include:

  • Income Tax
  • Land and Buildings Transaction Tax
  • Landfill Tax

And you can also contact Graeme about some aspects of social security – these include the following benefits:

  • Best Start Grant
  • Scottish Child Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance/Carer’s Allowance Supplement
  • Funeral Support Payment
  • Young Carer Grant

Other people who can help with an issue

If your issue is not covered by what Graeme can help you with, there are other people who represent you and may be able to help. They include:

  • Councillors – they represent you in Angus Council and deal with local services, such as bin collection
  • Members of Parliament (MPs) – they represent you in the UK Parliament and deal with issues that are not be devolved (known as “reserved matters”)


You’re represented by 3 or 4 councillors and you can contact any of them for help.

Contact a councillor if you want to discuss services in your local area. These include local public transport, rubbish collection or disputes with your neighbours.

Your councillor can offer help with:

  • education services, for example getting your child into a school
  • registering to vote
  • parks and leisure services
  • planning decisions and licences
  • social care services
  • waste and recycling

Find your local councillor on the website.

Members of Parliament (MP)

You are represented by one MP in the UK Parliament.

Contact your MP if you want help with something related to the following issues:

  • defence
  • employment
  • immigration and visas
  • international development
  • trade and Industry

You can also contact your MP about issues related to social security and tax that are not covered by the Scottish Parliament.

Find your MP on the UK Parliament website.

When contacting someone else who represents you

Please include:

  • your postcode, along with the rest of your contact details
  • a brief description of the problem
  • suggestions on what can be done to sort out the problem or issue if you have any

Insert here…